FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING ASSIGNMENT ESSAY INSTRUCTIONS
Category : Sample Assignment Instructions
BA 934 – FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING
Assignment – Semester 0 2008
· The due date is 1pm 28 January 2008.
· Word limit: 2,000 words, including appendices and bibliography.
· This assignment is worth 20% of total assessment for this unit. The breakdown of marking for this assignment is : see below.
· This assignment should be undertaken on a group basis, each group to have no more than two members.
· Each student must include the “Assignment Attachment Sheet” with the submitted assignment. Each student must fill-in all details that are requested on the “Assignment Attachment Sheet” as well as sign and date the “Assignment Attachment Sheet”.
· You must provide your authority for all statements in the essay.
· You must reference all sources of information throughout the assignment and provide a detailed bibliography at the end. When referencing within the main body of the assignment use the following syntax: (Author/Authors, Year of Publication, Page Number/Numbers). See the unit description for examples of the acceptable bibliography format – APA (Harvard style).
· Any requests for extensions from the due date must be sought from the lecturer in writing. Requests should be forwarded by email. This application must include full documentary evidence of the reason for seeking an extension including a medical certificate in the case of a medical reason (short-term minor ailments will not be viewed favorably)
· Every assignment must be submitted in hard copy. Electronic submissions are not accepted.
· Marks will be available two weeks after the assignments are received. Assignments will be returned when all papers have been received and assessed.
Any concerns that arise concerning plagiarism will be dealt with under university guidelines.
Financial Reporting Failures
In Australia and elsewhere there have been a number of financial reporting failures in recent years in which it appears that companies have released misleading financial statements. Using a number of these situations as a case study prepare a comprehensive review of the problem, include in your discussion:
what appears to have been the cause or causes of the failures
what actions the accounting standard setting bodies have taken to overcome the problem
what further action you believe is necessary to prevent such a situation happening again.
Students are required to prepare and submit an essay on the above topic “Financial Reporting failures”. The essay must comply with the presentation requirements of the University for the presentation of academic work, and the Harvard system of referencing must be used.
The expected length for the essay is approximately 2,000 words. Essays that are in excess of 2,200 words (excluding the title page, abstract/synopsis and bibliography) will be penalised.
It is expected that students will show evidence of research of at least three cases from published sources including academic journal articles, press articles and websites.
The proper presentation of essays in accordance with University requirements is considered a ‘threshold requirement’ for this assessable task. That is, since students studying at this level are expected to achieve this requirement as a matter of course, no credit will be given for doing so. However, essays that fail to satisfy this requirement will either be penalised or not assessed.
For essays that achieve the expected presentation standard the assessment criteria will be:
Evidence of relevant research and demonstrated understanding of research materials (notional weighting 25%).
The structure and logic of arguments presented (notional weighting 25%).
Demonstrated understanding of the subject matter that is the focus of the essay topic (notional weighting 50%).
Read our customer feedbacks